Expert horticulturalist Tom Smarr
at the Garden Concierge
offers this good advice to all gardeners.
“I find that many gardeners tend to take a break or drop back from gardening programs and reading during the late autumn and early
winter. Possibly resting before putting the energy back into the excitement for another growing year. However, I think it is important
for gardeners not to get too lazy in putting their garden to bed. Cut back appropriate perennials, protect and cover up others, and evaluate
shurbs that might need some additional ties for snow load protection. I also will stake newly planted trees to protect from being pulled over by winter snow.”
Great advice. Thanks Tom!
Hey city gardeners! This site is for you!My name is Janine and I'm a dedicated gardener with years of hands-in-the-soil experience. My specialty is small space gardens in urban locations. There is all kinds of good information in here. Send me comments and ideas. Enjoy!
- Sorry to see her go… Parks Commissioner Toni Pollak Retiring February 17, 2014
- Fenway Victory Garden Tour July 27th! July 21, 2013
- Boston Garden Contest – Entry Deadline July 12th June 26, 2013
- Landscape Institute Offering Summer Courses May 22, 2013
- Selecting Plants That Grow – Encore Expert Advice May 16, 2013