So, I plant four, hardy, yellow chrysanthemums around the maple tree in my front garden. Then I put in two, healthy-looking sunflowers – center stage – to give the garden a bit of pop. See first photo below… Over the next three days, even with careful watering, the little sunflower heads were drooping hard and fading fast. Bummer. Had to pull them out and replant with small, rust-colored mums. See second photo… I must admit it’s not as varied a garden as I’d like but it’s seasonally colorful and still pleasant to look at. Next year I vow to go beyond the mum!
Hey city gardeners! This site is for you!My name is Janine and I'm a dedicated gardener with years of hands-in-the-soil experience. My specialty is small space gardens in urban locations. There is all kinds of good information in here. Send me comments and ideas. Enjoy!
- Sorry to see her go… Parks Commissioner Toni Pollak Retiring February 17, 2014
- Fenway Victory Garden Tour July 27th! July 21, 2013
- Boston Garden Contest – Entry Deadline July 12th June 26, 2013
- Landscape Institute Offering Summer Courses May 22, 2013
- Selecting Plants That Grow – Encore Expert Advice May 16, 2013