Need a lift? Go get yourself a big, showy, pop of color!
I suggest a Red Lion Amaryllis. I bought one a week ago at Trader Joe’s in the Back Bay for $6.99 (sorry no more left at that location) and have enjoyed watching it grow. Amaryllis love warm and sunny spots. It sure helps the spirit to see this red pop of color every day, especially when the temperature is below freezing and there are many inches of snow on the ground…. Just 57 days til spring!
Hey city gardeners! This site is for you!My name is Janine and I'm a dedicated gardener with years of hands-in-the-soil experience. My specialty is small space gardens in urban locations. There is all kinds of good information in here. Send me comments and ideas. Enjoy!
- Sorry to see her go… Parks Commissioner Toni Pollak Retiring February 17, 2014
- Fenway Victory Garden Tour July 27th! July 21, 2013
- Boston Garden Contest – Entry Deadline July 12th June 26, 2013
- Landscape Institute Offering Summer Courses May 22, 2013
- Selecting Plants That Grow – Encore Expert Advice May 16, 2013
Join 123 other subscribers
- Beautiful garden containers and ornaments Importers of fine English garden ornaments, cast stone, lead and granite statuary, planters, urns, fountains, bird baths, sundials and more.
- Great horticulture classes and certificates Landscape Institute at BAC offers classes and courses that foster creative design and stewardship of the land.
- Growing vegetables Get practical info on vegetable and flower gardening. Check out Veggie Plantings in “How Does Your Garden Grow?”
- Taking care of trees and more! This Garden Club of the Back Bay site is terrific. Great info on local gardening activities as well as efforts to plant, prune and protect our precious trees.
City Garden Ideas
What a true jewel the ( Red Lion ) Amaryllis ! to watch this powerful flower grow during what can be such a dreary time of year!
I have watched many of them grow, even observing them grow amazing heights in just a few days. such beauty in just a small pot…